Sunday 15 June 2014

Sea Creatures...continued

Starfish

I found some time to continue with the sea creature theme with these two starfish. I didn't want the loop to show so I have soldered it to the back of the design, which means they hang beautifully on the neck.

On the first design I started with thick sheet silver so I could file it down to get a 3D effect. The bumps on the starfish were tricky - I had to melt 15 tiny pieces of wire in to spheres, and then solder these on to the design. It took a few goes as they kept blowing away and moving with the heat of the torch! I gave the starfish a satin finish and the raised spheres are highly polished which make an interesting contrast.



In the second design I drilled 20 holes which graduate in size as they radiate outwards.The whole of the starfish has a satin finish.


They will  be stand alone pendants, however I still have the idea to have a few designs on one chain, but I think I'll have to make everything a little smaller.




As always, look for them on the Etsy Shop soon, and if you can't wait, send me a message through facebook or an email!

No comments:

Post a Comment